- Typically, on this show, we feature stories of people who have quit their careers and started over in a completely different field. I’m so excited to have Nicole on the show to that you don’t have to do that. If you like the field that you’re in but want something more, be it flexibility, more money, more ownership etc, it is time to think outside of the box.
- Nicole started out her healthcare PR career in 2002 at a large medical device company, Guidant Corporation, where she learned the trade for 5 years. When the company was acquired by Abbott in 2006, Nicole was no longer allowed to keep her part-time status. Because she wanted the flexibility of staying at home with her kids and having a career, Nicole quit her job and started her career as a medtech PR consultant, working primarily with startups to launch their companies and products. She hired her first fulltime employee in 2016. Today her agency has approximately 20 employees and offices in the San Francisco Bay Area and Orange County.
- Nicole is also a founding member of MedtechWomen, a nonprofit organization dedicated to highlighting women leaders in the medical technology industry. She was named a 2015 PR Executive of the Year by the Business Intelligence Group and is a finalist for PR News’ 2019 Top Women in Healthcare Awards.
- We talk all about how taking that jump, and knowing how to value yourself, led Nicole to create an incredible business that also gave her the flexibility she wanted.
Here is what we chat about in this episode:
- How to recognize the value you bring in your career and how to charge accordingly
- How she realized it was time to make the jump
- Why setting up a business isn’t as difficult as people make it seem.
- How freelancers can provide a lot of value that companies can’t provide
- Why you shouldn’t work for free
- Why the riches are in the niches
- How she grew her company from being a single consultant to 20 employees
- Why she believes in investing in yourself even if you’re not making money yet
- And much more!
Where to find Nicole: